Welcome to the Silent Woods

The Silent Woods are part of the saga of the haunted farm. The eerie quality of the woods both alluring and sinister. I think they represent the development of an oracle deck quite nicely. They "speak" in their silence in much the same way a good deck does. They cause one to pause and contemplate direction. The Journey Deck is a personal deck and as such its development is a personal endeavor. It is not really a venture to produce and publish a deck. Simply a way of celebrating a history that includes some quite unique and interesting aspects. I mean when you grow up on a haunted farm...there's just a whole lot of stuff that happens in life...and as a woman of "age" I think it is a wonderful way to pass down family history and leave a "mark" so to speak.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

CARD: The Little Man in the Attic

Once before when I answered the challenge about writing ten unusual things about myself....I included the fact that I grew up on a "haunted farm". Well. I suppose it is not exactly a "fact" in the truest sense of the word but none the less, ask my brothers, sisters, or nieces or nephews and they will tell you...the farm was haunted. I know there are those that do not believe in such things...and that is fine but the truth is explaining the unusual happenings on that small plot of land is easier described by hauntings as in any other way. If you have a different explanation that will fit the happenings then I will be happy to consider it.

I will talk about the "little man in the attic" and how I came to discover that others knew of his existence just as I did. Here is the thing...in that age between childhood and adulthood where the memories are fuzzy and you can never be sure if what you are remembering is a true memory, a dream, or a distortion of some other memory. That is where the little man lived for many many years because I never spoke of him, described him or even wondered about his existence. It wasn't out of fear for there appeared to be nothing to fear about him. He was simply "there" in the attic. Sometimes he climbed in and out the window onto the roof with a pick...yes just like the dwarves in Snow White. Ummm...you say a childhood memory distorted by Disney? I think not...and here is why. I have never really doubted the little man's existence and I try to pinpoint exactly how long I knew he lived there.

In truth, I'm not sure but for as long as I have a conscious memory of the house. It was only after entering adulthood and putting the whole thought of the little man out of my mind that I stumbled upon the fact that others knew him also. My sister, who has since passed away, was talking with me one day about the farm, the house, and our childhood, when she asked quite matter a factly about the attic. "The attic" I answered and then with a dawning thought I said..."oh are you talking about the little man who lived there" and she nodded. For she too, knew of the little man and also reported no real fear of him or his comings and goings. During our conversation she also revealed to me that she had also asked my brother if he had ever thought anything odd of the attic ....to which he promptly responded, "oh you mean that little man that lived up there?"

Now I suppose with some rationalization we could come up with the answer to why at least three people have the exact same memories of the little man in the attic...down to the clothes he wore, his comings and goings, and the feelings associated with him neither fear or even curiosity....just an acceptance that he was "there". I, personally find it odd, but then again I can add to it the other numerous goings on both in the house itself and in the woods surrounding it. So let's just say that even though the fairies story...which I have yet to share with you...did end with a visit to the psych ward...it did start at the farm....and well....it just makes me wonder.....but more about that later...

NOTE: Orignally Posted on Ginger's Journey, March 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment